Sunday, February 24, 2019

Floating Friendship Star Block #2

Here it is, our 2nd block in the new Block of the Month quilt along from Pam W.    This block is called Friendship Squared and is 18.5 in. unfinished.
Above is my block.  I'm using 1930s reproductions mixed with vintage fabrics for an old fashioned look.  (You know me, I love the 30s!)
The center of this block is a 5 in. (cut) square.  So it's the perfect place for a charm square you've been saving.  I'm using this blue with red and pink hearts.  (February=hearts, right?)  I've got kind of a calendar thing going, but I don't know how long I'll stick with it.  The colors/prints are really more important.
All the pieces in this block are simple to sew--half square triangles, four patches, and long rectangles and squares to finish it off.
I'm looking forward to seeing what Pam has us do with the rest of the blocks.  The sizes are so different, 12 in. and 18 in.
How is this going to fit together?
Stay tuned!  Our next installment comes at the March meeting.  Bring your completed blocks to show.
We are so lucky to have a quilt designed just for us.
By the way, the pattern for this month's block should have come to you in your email, and is a pdf, which makes it easy to print.  If you didn't receive one, contact Pam W.

Just a heads up:
If you are a quilter who likes the work of Victoria Findley Wolfe, this book is currently at the Germantown library:
Modern Quilt Magic:  5 Parlor Tricks to Expand Your Piecing Skills. 
In this book, Victoria teaches us how to sew set in seams, curves, partial seams, etc.
Here's the back.
I enjoyed reading it, and I turned it in last week, so it might be on the shelf waiting for you.
If you use a different library, you can still request the book, and your library staff will get it for you.

Stay warm, stay safe, and keep quilting!





No comments:

Post a Comment