Sunday, July 22, 2018

Ties that Bind Birthday Party!

This was the message last Wednesday night:  Let's Party!  Here's our own Norma, helping get the food set up.  Wasn't everything delicious?
You just can't have a birthday party without cake.  How about this amazing pinwheel cake?  (By the way, it was as good as it looks.  I tasted it just to make sure.)
Good job, everybody, on the blocks of the month.  July's block was a birthday cake block (click HERE for the pattern, if you missed it).  There were 32 blocks!  Helen L. was the lucky winner.
We also had rousing games of quilters' dice.  It is so much fun to go home with different (more? or fewer?) fat quarters than you came with.

The big highlight of the meeting was Show and Tell.  This month we were asked to bring our first quilt, and something we're working on now or recently finished.
There is absolutely NO WAY I could put all the great photos of your quilts into one post.  So I'm going to put a few in every week until I've used all the pictures I took.
This week's focus is bright colors.  There are MORE bright colored quilts coming, but here is the first batch.
Hold on to your hat, you are going to be impressed.
These quilts and quilters are amazing!  I apologize for any blurry or off-center photos, I'm still learning my new phone.

Block of the Month

Our block of the month for August is Saw Toothed Square.  It's a 12 in. finished block.
Click HERE for the pattern.
Here's my version.
The pattern comes from Quilter's Cache.  Don't forget to click the Page 2 link to see the rest of the directions.
You will need two floral fabrics, one light and one dark.

Click HERE to see blocks made by another group.  All sorts of colors just seem to work well together.

Want a shorthand version of the directions?
Make one 6.5 in. (6 in. finished) center hst, and 12 smaller 3.5 in. (3 in. finished) hsts.  Then put them together as shown.

I apologize for not printing out the directions for you.  My printer is Not Cooperating right now. :-(
As always, if you have any questions or problems with the Block of the Month, leave me a message or give me a call.

Thank you to everyone who participated in July's meeting, to Norma and Mary M. for cooking and arranging, to all the cooks who brought such great food, to all who shared something for show and tell, to all who attended.

The second best thing at Ties That Bind meetings is sharing quilts.
The best thing is sharing with quilters.

Have a wonderful week!












No comments:

Post a Comment